Primary schools and festivals all over the south of England (and beyond) have employed James Carter as their writer–in–residence, including:
- Falkland Primary School
- Kintbury St. Mary's Primary School
- Charles Dickens Primary School
- Wantage CofE Primary School
- Telferscot Primary School
- Beatrix Potter Primary School
- ELIS School, Murcia, Spain
- Ledbury Poetry Festival
Residencies are ideal for those that wish to:
- Establish an ongoing relationship with an author
- Have an extended programme of poetry and story writing activities from Yr 1 to Yr 6
- Explore a range of structures, modes and forms of language
- Boost children’s (as well as teachers’) confidence with regards to creative writing
- Deepen an understanding of the creative process
- Use language expressively and imaginatively
- utilise a variety of stimuli for writing – text, genres, music, images
- Give time to crafting and drafting
- And above all, catch the writing bug!
Residencies last from 2–8 days and typically comprise of:
- Performances for FS/KS1/KS2
- Writing Workshops for Yr 1 to Yr 6 – visiting each class on a weekly basis
- Gifted & Talented workshop days (Yr 3/4 & 5/6)
- INSET sessions for teachers
- Family Writing Sessions – parents & children writing together (KS1/KS2)
- Children’s Gala Finale – all classes perform examples of their writing (parents/local press welcome!)
- Publication of children’s work (anthologies, displays, websites)
James will either deliver his own wide range of poetry and prose workshops, or generate topic–related creative writing activities, and, if requested, follow the specific creative writing requirements of the Primary Strategy for Literacy for each class.
James has degrees in Primary Education with English B.Ed (Hons) and Children’s Literature MA (with distinction) both from the University of Reading.
James Carter’s enthusiasm for poetry is infectious. His ideas for inspiring children to write poetry are simple yet very effective. Children thoroughly enjoyed his workshops and staff have found his INSET sessions really worthwhile and very useful. He has provided us with plenty of poetry treasures to keep in our pocket for another time!
Primary school, South Oxfordfshire
Start Time & Costs
If local to James (ie South Oxfordshire or Berkshire) James will drive to your school and arrive by 8:30am. If further afield, James will catch the train – however far! – trains are great for writing. James can reach most stations in the South of England by 8:30am.
Costs are negotiable and extremely reasonable, of course!
For costs and availability please send James an email.