INSET Sessions – Writing Poetry at KS1/KS2
James is an INSET provider, a lecturer in Children’s Literature/Creative Writing at Reading University and the author of five creative writing books for Primary teachers.
During his residency with us, James Carter’s energy and enthusiasm inspired teachers, pupils and parents across the whole school.
ENCO Falkland Primary
The best INSET I’ve ever been to!
KS2 Literacy Co–ordinator
Primary school, Oxfordshire
James has run INSET sessions for Primary teachers all over the UK. These fun, interactive and wholly practical sessions are based on James’ popular and critically–acclaimed teachers’ books Creating Writers (Routledge), Just Imagine and Page to Stage (David Fulton).
Story writing at KS1&2 also available.
Aims of INSET sessions:
- To give teachers a range of imaginative workshop ideas for writing poetry that can be put into immediate practice in the classroom
- Boost teachers’ confidences with motivating children to engage with poetry
- Give teachers experience of writing poems themselves
- Enable teachers to view themselves as co–authors of poems with their classes – as well as initiators, editors and publishers of children’s poetry
- Give teachers approaches to poetry writing that can further be applied to fiction
- Ultimately, for teachers to recognise that poetry is often the most effective medium (particularly free verse) for children to express their thoughts, feelings, experiences and memories
- Demonstrate ways of making poetry an integral part of a classroom culture
’Well done! Inspirational, humorous and very informative. IT WAS GREAT!’ . ’An excellent day, inspirational’ . ’Good, practical ideas that could easily be adapted for a range of ages and topics’ . ’Fantastic INSET - will be using a lot of what was demonstrated.
Classroom teachers, Lower School, Bedfordshire
As a school we are continually looking for ways to inspire children to write and believe poetry has an important part to play in this. What we needed as staff was as many practical ways to do this and the confidence to share those ideas. James was inspirational for both our days training and the two days he had spent with the children. Staff left feeling excited about poetry and how it could be the trigger to better writing. Even some of our shyest staff were rapping by the end of the day!! The school would recommend James's work as an important stepping stone into creative writing.
Headteacher, Primary School, Milton Keynes
Start Time & Costs
If local to James (ie South Oxfordshire or Berkshire) James will drive to your school and arrive by 8:30am. If further afield, James will catch the train – however far! – trains are great for writing. James can reach most stations in the South of England by 8:30am.
Costs are negotiable and extremely reasonable, of course!
For costs and availability please send James an email.